Blog2: Learning Design II

The learning environment I chose after group discussion is direct instruction. The direct instruction method is a method of teaching directly in the language taught without the help of my native language. The meaning of ‘direct’ is the meaning of directly connecting language with objective things such as words or things.

Direct instruction is the oldest, most popular, and most practical teaching method at present. For example, when we were infants, our parents were our earliest teachers, teaching us how to pronounce and speak sentence by sentence. Here we use direct instruction. In primary school, we are exposed to more knowledge, and direct teaching is the most efficient way to learn things, mathematics, In primary school, we need to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Direct instruction is when the teacher gives us examples of each question type and teaches us how to get the correct answer. This is direct instruction. In China, most of the teaching methods are direct instruction, which is something I have experienced personally.

The theme of our group is drawing. I think direct instructions are very suitable for this topic. For example, first, we need to understand the preparation of drawing and how to understand various types of pencils. I can directly tell the students which types are available from thin to thick, and then the choice of paper and the matching of pigments. These are necessary knowledge that students need to remember, However, if exploratory learning or other methods are used, students may miss some key information when learning this basic knowledge. Then drawing can not draw the desired pattern with a pen. First, the teacher needs to directly demonstrate how to draw a draft, such as the space in the drawing, the basic lines of objects, etc. these direct instructions can easily and effectively let the students understand how to draw without blind self-exploration.

Of course, this learning mode also has many shortcomings, such as being boring, unable to develop students’ own creative thinking, and having no time for students to discuss. These often conflict with the exploration, analysis, creation, and reflection on our subject. So in my opinion, direct instruction is applicable to the basis of learning painting. If you need to know more, you need to discuss it in combination with other learning methods, such as experiential learning.

Finally, I think this direct instruction is a good way for much basic education, I will talk about my topic in this way later because this method is most suitable for people who do not know.

1. yiyuan0215

Hello, I am Yi Yuan. After reading your post, I agree with your opinion, the most teaching methods in China are direct instruction, which I have also experienced. I think your analysis is very good, you summed up the advantages and disadvantages of direct instruction, and you combined your analysis with the topics of your group. Direct instruction really helps students learn the steps and techniques of painting faster. But painting requires ideas, and the result of direct instruction is that everyone’s drawing will be almost the same. After a long time, students will not want to think idea, they will rely on direct instruction and lose creative thinking. You mentioned that as well. Maybe add some interactive activities would be better.