Inclusive Design

Inclusive design is the process of continuously designing solutions to adapt to views, experiences and situations that people have not considered before. To a large extent, inclusive design is to eliminate exclusion. It is emphasized that inclusive design is a process. The key to understanding inclusive design: it is an ongoing behavior, not an end result. We should be as inclusive as possible
Among the courses made according to my group, our courses are aimed at hearing-impaired and English learners. Our courses are to learn the basic knowledge of painting, such as the type of brush, the practice of drawing lines, the light and dark sides of the picture, and introduce some well-known works of art. Let them know how to draw by learning the most basic things.
First of all, according to their different situations, we will set up some tips to show them by painting, so as to understand our content. Secondly, we can prepare paper and pen, so that they can gain experience through practice. This is part of inclusive design, and we can solve the communication problems with them through pictures.
In addition, when students encounter problems, they can change their teaching methods, avoid obstacles from another angle, improve the participation and interest of each student, so that they will not have a dislike for painting and improve their knowledge.

1. yiyuan0215

Hello, I’m Yi Yuan. I read your post, and you described your group’s learning design in a good way, you taking the hearing-impaired and English language learners into consideration. For hearing-impaired people, you use drawings or pictures to show them. That’s a good point. I think the hearing-impaired tend to prefer direct means of expression, such as writing or sign language. I think you can organize the process, requirements and so on into a document before the activity and send it to their email in advance to ensure that they fully understand the content of the class. About the English language learner. I think you can explain the key words in advance. For example, before teaching painting skills, teach students some key words of painting tools. This will help them understand class content sooner. Here is an article about how to make a lesson plan for ELL. I hope it will help you.

https://www.colorincolorado.org/article/how-develop-lesson-plan-includes-ells